Thursday, July 1, 2010

Unexpected Writer's Block

I'm trying to stay on schedule for finishing Valley of the Dying Sun in a week. But I've been struck by some unexpected writer's block. I had everything all planned out and ready to go, but Devyn and Elayna (my main characters) decided they wanted to do some side thing. So now I have to plan that out before I can get on with the story and I don't know what to say! It's a good scene though, and needs to be in the book.
So to tackle this sudden lapse in inspiration, I'm taking a break today to stimulate my mind. If you sit there and dwell on it and get frustrated you'll only hinder yourself. Over the years I've found that different things sort of "loosen up" your mind, and make it easy to solve the problems of writer's block.
Reading is probably the best way to open your mind, as it works the right and left sides of your brain at the same time. My writing always improves when I'm reading a good book. Playing a musical instrument also works both sides of the brain, as does (believe it or not) playing video games, or simple word games. (Hooray for all you gamers out there!) Watching a good movie that has to do with your genre will also help inspire you. I've also found that exercise helps. It gets the blood flowing to your brain so you don't feel that dull, lethargic feeling that can create writer's block. Being in or near water is a good place for inspiration as well.
Today I'm going to go swimming, read this book my husband said was good, exercise later on and go to a meditation class. (I'm experimenting with the meditation... we'll see if it helps.) Then tonight I'm going to watch Lord of the Rings or some other fantasy flick while I eat dinner with my hubby. I'm also going to make sure I eat good "brain food." If your body doesn't have the proper nutrition it needs, it makes it very hard for your brain to focus on anything but the fact the the body is STARVING. So make sure a healthy diet is part of your writing routine. (I know as authors we are all disturbed and inclined to have some self-destructive vice, but trust me. That won't help your writing at all!)
I'll let you know tomorrow how my plan of tackling this WB goes. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment