Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Brainstorming part 1: Inspirational Sources

In an earlier post "Five Steps to Completing a Novel" I talk about the structure of brainstorming. Now I'm going to break it down into what I actually do.
Normally when I hear the word brainstorming, I think of someone sitting in a quiet place with a pen and paper and saying "I'd like to write a book. So I'm going to get some ideas." I have done this a few times, but honestly I don't get answers in those brainstorming sessions. I get questions.
So if inspiration does not come from sitting in your writing nook, where does it come from? You need an initial inspiration for your book(s). As much as I'd like to say my book just popped into my head one day, it didn't. Much of my story was influenced by other fantasy novels, video games, and movies. Dragon Lance, the Sword of Truth, and the Book of Three series were major influences. My biggest source of inspiration was the hit video game The Legend of Zelda.
Let me say now that there is a huge difference between inspiration and plagiarism. Inspiration is where you see something you like, and take your own flight from there. Plagiarism is where you see something you like and steal it completely, maybe changing a name here and there, but keeping the plot the same.
There is nothing wrong with being inspired by someone else's work. Mario didn't just pop into Shigeru Myamoto's head one day. He admits that Alice in Wonderland inspired him. She ate the cake and grew big; Mario eats mushrooms and grows big. While there are similarities, Mario and Alice are completely different, therefore Mario is not plagiarism.
I wanted to read a good fantasy novel, one that kept me up into the wee hours of the morning. I was very specific in what I wanted to read. I wanted a cool heroine, not a sissy damsel in distress. I wanted a magical sword that was THE sword. I wanted MAGIC in the book. I can't believe how many "fantasy" books I've read lately hardly have any magic! Sure, they heal someone once in a while, but most of the book is simply drama. I wanted spells, wizards, magical items and creatures. I wanted a love story with a happy ending.
Be specific in what you want your book to be about, what elements you want it to have, and what you do NOT want it to have.
As I brainstorm for my third book, I realize that it is not in that time set aside for thinking that I get ideas and answers. I have to immerse myself in my work, constantly have it in the back of my mind, so when inspiration strikes I recognize it. You might watch a movie that has nothing to do with your book, but from there it takes you to an entirely new place. If you're not paying attention though, you'll miss out. You might even be cooking dinner and an idea will come to you. Don't say "I'm just too busy to think about my book all day." You can be thinking while you're in your car, while you're eating, and while you're falling asleep. I get the best ideas just before I fall asleep.
You will find that as you immerse yourself in the brainstorming process, your ideas will become more original and frequent. When I was writing my first book I was so into my book that I started to dream about it, and got some amazing characters and scenes from my own dreams!
Stay focused and pay attention to the world around you. If it helps, keep a notebook handy so that you can jot down ideas when they come to you. If you follow the five steps properly, the majority of your inspiration will come to you before you ever write the first word. However, don't let the brainstorming stop there! Continue to listen to ideas, and you might just be surprised at how amazing your work ends up!

2 comments:

  1. I usually get my ideas from my dreams, no need to worry about plagarizing there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had a lot of inspiration from dreams. But still be careful with that-- sometimes I'll think an idea is original and then I realize I saw it in a movie!

    ReplyDelete