Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Back from my break- Staying Focused

I didn't purposely wait so long to write my next post, but I guess my brain decided it needed a break. During said vacation, I had all sorts of wonderful misadventures. Without turning this entire blog into a rant about society, I will say that I've had my share of major frustrations lately. It's easy to lose the desire to write when I'm trying to worry about if we're going to pay the rent or have enough money for groceries.
So I'm not going to go all sappy and tell my life's most depressing moment. I only want to impress that life will always be full of surprises- many of which you could live without. During these times it's easy to lose courage and sight of your goal.
I've had to re-invent my reason for writing my books. I started when I was very young, and while I wanted my books to be best sellers, I did not want to write them for money. I wanted to write them for the story. For me and my family to have a good series to read. Now that I'm older and somewhat more cynical that reason doesn't seem to be enough. But after two years of constant stress, worrying about bills, worrying about jobs, worrying about religion and medicine and weight gain-- I realized all this worrying wasn't doing any good whatsoever. So I came up with a new reason to write my books: to be happy. What is the point of putting so much energy into something (bills for example) if it doesn't make you happy?
Mind you I'm not talking about instant gratification. I'm talking about true, lasting happiness. When you're ninety and look back on the memory you smile instead of grimacing.
The point to all of this is that I'm back in gear. I have purpose again. If someone asked me what the single most important thing to have to be able to write a book it would be purpose. Even over a vivid imagination and a poetic way with words. If you have no reason to write, you won't.
So, stay focused! Find a reason to write your book(s) for YOU and no one else. In the end, you are writing for you. Today I start the first word of Temple of Ten Thousand Bones....

1 comment:

  1. Good advice. I definitely find it hard to write sometimes and this is a good kick in the pants to keep going.

    ReplyDelete